Subscribe

Powered By

Free XML Skins for Blogger

Powered by Blogger

Custom Search

The Chaos Within

The Chaos Within

6.4.09

The 'Not-ashamed-to-say-or-do-something-stupid' Syndrome

One of the most unexplained behaviors I have ever witnessed is how Greek people manage to have this calling with nature (or should I say Nature's calling) and do in public what normal people normally do behind closed doors in their bathrooms. They tend to pick publicly accessible places that are visible to just about anybody. For some reason they can't restrain themselves to go somewhere private, so when they have to go, they go wherever they can. Usually I've caught people taking a leak behind a tree in a public park, or behind a parked car. They stand there like animals out of the zoo without any care in the world if you look down on them. I even had one guy waving back at me with a smile on his face. It's a disgraceful form of conduct that not only defames the country but also stinks up the city with urine - making it look like a cesspool.
Then there are those people who have to speak their mind audibly. They feel that they're doing their duty as a Greek to state their opinion, especially when it's uninvited by the world or the person to whom it's directed at. It seems that wherever i go i come across at least one or two of these coincidental moments. I must be cursed because 9 out of 10 times the statement is directed at me. A typical scenario starts out something like this: I'm usually waiting in line and the person behind me notices something about something I'm either buying, wearing or saying over the phone. Then he/she interrupts me and says something so that the whole world can hear it. It's usually said in a sarcastic undertone; and when they're done blurting out the nonsense, they usually start to laugh as if they said something funny. The funny thing is that they're the only ones laughing at the end. Then I usually nod pretending that I understood what he/she said and go on with my business chuckling inside of myself. Everyone around me also starts to look away and hide their smiles so that the idiot who spoke doesn't get his/her feelings hurt in some way. I can't imagine how that would be the case since they say it with such a dignified manner. Even if everyone was to reproach him/her, he/she would still act as though what they had said was the smartest thing anyone could have said.

God Forbid: God forbid you should get into a discussion with whomever it is that starts up the opinionated-you-should-be-ashamed-of-yourself talk. All I have to say is: you should be ashamed of yourself - it's a futile wise-ass-conversation that ends up causing more aggravation than good.

No comments:

Use the graffiti of your mind, and spray whatever it is that floats your boat.

Use the graffiti of your mind, and spray whatever it is that floats your boat.