Subscribe

Powered By

Free XML Skins for Blogger

Powered by Blogger

Custom Search

The Chaos Within

The Chaos Within

26.3.09

The 'Carwalk/DoublePark-hazard-light' Syndrome

Have you ever been forced to walk on a narrow street only because there were cars parked along the sidewalk? Did you ever have to drive onto opposing traffic only because there were a row of cars with their hazard lights turned on blocking your lane?
Well, you're not the only one.. Greeks tend to think of the excuse: 'well, there are so many cars - what can you doooo aboouutt itt.' So they take their own liberal laws into their own hands and act as the 'chief of police.'
I recall on one occasion when I was walking down a broad sidewalk(the road was actually narrower than the sidewalk) when all of a sudden I came to a point that no matter how far my eyes could take me all I could see were cars parked along either sides of the road. It was almost as if my eyes were deceiving me because it looked as though the cars were piled on top of each other; but later as i approached I realized that it wasn't the case. The cars were so closely packed that not even a baby could fit between them. I wondered at the time "how in God's name did they ever manage to open their doors and get out?" Well I guess if you've been trained in the Greek circus(society -lol) you know how to swing your way between the lines. Anyway, later I realized as I approached my destination I started to hear crowds cheering frantically over something. It dawned on me that there was a soccer game that day, and the stadium was only a couple of kilometers away. I felt like I was put in a simulated matrix 'game' - the cars that came at me were like raging bullets. I had to jump on some cars a few times to avoid being killed. Boy, if only the British police(or US) were here... They would have had a field day with towing the cars away. And I would have given everything to see the reaction on those people's faces when they returned to pick up their cars.
When Greek people turn on their hazard lights they not only become a hazard(threat) to the person driving behind them but to the whole area surrounding them. It's like when they turn it on they feel like their Gods. They go into this God-mode state and do whatever it is that pleases them. I recall one frustrating moment when a Greek person decided to create his own little island in the middle of the street. Both sides were honking like mad-dogs at him since they couldn't get through. The guy casually got out of his car with his pajamas still on and went across the street to a coffee shop. He waved his palms indicating that he was only going to be a moment. The peoples nerves were so shot out of proportion - and rightly so - that all I could hear from my car was a savage chorus of profanity being spewed into the air. After five minutes or so the guy decided to come out and get back to his car. What marveled me the most however was the fact that he was completely ignorant to the whole mayhem around him. He just sipped his coffee and went on his merry way..
These two baffling(and annoying) behaviors that Greeks display is something of a mystery to me. They act like some godsend remedy to the rest of society, and that their doing them a favor by acting this way. Well, on the contrary, i hate to disagree but I'm going to have to play devil's advocate here cause it's just so unbearable having to deal with something like this on a daily basis. Ok, maybe not as tragic as the examples I brought out, but close to it. By the way, the aforementioned examples are a true story - cross my fingers and hope to die.

Analogy: The 'Jedi' are known to move objects by focusing 'the forces' energy and directing it to where they want. They have this omnipotent way of manipulating things according to the bidding of the 'the force' that they neglect to see what's around them - they're solely focused on moving that object and whatever else(opposing force) gets in their way. In a similar way, Greeks tend to focus so much on what they want to do(be it shopping or some other form of entertainment) that they completely ignore the world around them. And they do it in a way that denotes that they have exclusive power in whatever it is that they're doing.

God Forbid: God forbid we should be on the verge of a global catastrophe and we're ordered to evacuate the country and follow the road that leads to a safe haven. I think Greece would be the only country without an escape route. Why? Well there wouldn't be a way to get out after the Greek farmers abandon and park their tractors, and decide to go on vacation. I imagine that in a time of crisis Greeks would want to get their last form of entertainment in before they saw everything crumble.

No comments:

Use the graffiti of your mind, and spray whatever it is that floats your boat.

Use the graffiti of your mind, and spray whatever it is that floats your boat.